What happened in Everton's history this week?

29 November 1941 -
A week after winning 4-3 at Maine Road, Everton thumped Manchester City 9-0 at Goodison Park thanks to goals from H. Jones (two), Stevenson (two), Bentham, Cook, Lyon, Mutch and an own goal. Read the match programme.

30 November 1955 - Andy Gray was born in Glasgow. He began his career with Dundee United but made his name when he switched to the English game with Aston Villa in October 1975 for £100,000. He moved to Wolves in 1979 for a British transfer record of £1.5 million but then switched to Goodison in 1983 for a surprising £250,000. His arrival galvanised and transformed Everton and within two years they were League champions, FA Cup and European Cup-Winners' Cup winners. He moved back to Aston Villa for £150,000 in July 1985, later signing for West Bromwich Albion. He turned down the chance to return to Goodison Park as manager in 1997 in favour of his career as a broadcaster for Sky. See all Andy Gray memorabilia.

1 December 1917 - Joe Clennell scored 4 in the 7-1 regional league defeat against Bury. It meant Everton had scored 21 goals in just 5 games, of which Clennell had netted 11! See all Joe Clennell memorabilia.

2 December 1961 - Everton defeated Manchester United 5-1, keeping up the title challenge. Roy Vernon scored twice, whilst there were single goals from Bobby Collins, Jimmy Fell and Alex Young in front of a crowd of 48,099.
See all Roy Vernon memorabilia.

3 December 1986
- When the six English clubs banned from European competition organised their own competition (the Screen Sport Super Cup), other clubs felt they should have a competition of their own - so the Full Member's Cup was born. Although the Super Cup was abandoned after only one season, the Full Member's Cup limped along for considerably longer, with Everton making their competition debut with a 5-2 win over Newcastle United. Everton's goals were scored by Graeme Sharp (three), Adrian Heath and Kevin Sheedy in front of just 7,530 Goodison spectators. Read the match programme.

4 December 1993 - Shortly after the 1-0 home win over Southampton, Everton's first home win in 10 weeks, manager Howard Kendall resigned, thus ending his second spell in charge of the club. He had returned in 1990 but had been unable to repeat his earlier success. See all Howard Kendall memorabilia.

5 December 1887 - For fielding 7 professionals in an FA Cup tie against Bolton Wanderers, Everton were suspended for a month by the Football Association. They were also punished by the Liverpool FA, who duly confiscated the Liverpool Cup which they had won over the two previous years. The combined punishments disheartened Everton, who refused to enter the FA Cup in 1888.
Read the FA's decision in the club minute books.
Everton's Full Member's Cup debut, 3 Dec 1986
Minute book detailing FA's suspension of Everton