This month Everton defeated Chelsea in an FA Cup replay. In 1977 Everton reached the League Cup Final to play Aston Villa. The match was drawn and went on to not one, but two Cup Final replays. February's objects of the month are all three 1977 League Cup Final and League Cup Final Replay programmes.

796EFC-8-2-2_000112th March 1977 - League Cup Final at Wembley
After defeating Bolton Wanderers 1-0 in the Semi's, Everton were through to the League Cup Final for the first time in their history, facing Aston Villa at Wembley. Manager Gordon Lee, only in charge since January, led the side out for their first appearance at the grand old stadium since 1968 in the FA Cup Final. The game itself was something of a tame affair, the two sides cancelling each other out and ending 0-0, with Hillsborough scheduled for the replay. Read the match programme.

16th March 1977 - League Cup Final, 1st Replay at Hillsborough
Everton and Aston Villa tried again in the League Cup Final replay at Hillsborough, where 55,000 were packed into the ground. Once again it was a stalemate, with Roger Kenyon scoring an own goal and Bob Latchford scoring for Everton, extra time failing to separate the two sides. The League Cup Final therefore went to a third match for the very first time. Read the match programme.

13th April 1977 - League Cup Final, 2nd Replay at Old Trafford
After two draws at Wembley and Hillsborough Everton and Aston Villa met for the third time in the League Cup Final at Old Trafford. The crowd of 54,749 knew they were to see the matter finished on the night, for it had already been decided that in the event of another draw after extra time, the match would be settled on penalties. In the event there was no need for such an ending, for both clubs played a more
open and attacking game than had been seen in the two previous encounters. Bob Latchford gave Everton the lead in the 38th minute and that seemed for some time to be enough to win the Cup, but Aston Villa equalised through Chris Nicholl ten minutes from time and then took the lead a minute later through Brian Little. Everton had little option but to go straight on to the offensive in an attempt to rescue the game, and with time running out were rewarded when Mick Lyons headed home from a corner. That meant energy sapping extra time again, with Everton looking the more tired of the two teams, especially as they were also involved in a marathon FA Cup run at the time. In the closing minutes Brian Little skipped through the Everton defence to score the winner and deny Everton the only domestic trophy to have so far eluded them. Read the match programme.
Bryan Hamilton's 1977 League Cup Final shirt