What happened in Everton's history this week?

28th February 1931 -
Everton defeated Southport 9-1 in the FA Cup quarter-final with Dixie Dean scoring four of the goals. His daughter was born on the same day and named Nina in recognition of the score! See Dixie Dean memorabilia.

1st March 1914 - Tommy Watson was born in Wolsingham. Commonly known as Gordon, he joined Everton in January 1933 and made his debut during the 1936-37 season. He played enough games in 1938/39 to earn a medal when the team won the League, but the outbreak of the Second World War wrecked his career, and by the time he retired in 1949 he had made just 66 first team appearances. See Gordon Watson memorabilia.

2nd March 1889 - Everton hosted the international match between England and Ireland, with England winning 6-1 at Anfield. There were already rumblings that Everton were not happy at Anfield, for the rent at the ground was costing the club £250 a year and landlord John Houlding held sole right to sell refreshments at the ground, but the FA's decision to award them the international was instrumental in ensuring Everton would remain at Anfield at least until 1892. Search England memorabilia.

3rd March 1937 - Dixie Dean and Alex Stevenson both scored twice as Everton swamped Leeds United 7-1 at Goodison Park. The other goals were scored by Albert Geldard, Torry Gillick and Tommy Lawton. Read the Leeds match programme.


4th March 1893
- Everton's very first appearance in an FA Cup Semi-Final saw them at Sheffield's Bramall Lane facing Preston North End, one of the most consistent sides of the era. Indeed, Preston had won the League in both of its first two seasons and then finished second for the next three years (behind Everton in 1891) and would prove to be a tough hurdle for Everton to overcome if they were to make the final for the first time. Goals from Edgar Chadwick and Gordon earned Everton a replay at Ewood Park. See the replay programme.

5th March 1949 - Eddie Wainwright scored four of Everton's goals as Blackpool were demolished 5-0 at Goodison Park in front of a crowd of 25,548. Jimmy McIntosh scored Everton's other goal.

6th March 1985 - Dutch club Feyenoord had won the domestic double in 1983-84, the third time they had accomplished such a feat and which handed beaten cup finalists Fortuna Sittard entry into the European Cup-Winners' Cup. They had already defeated KB Copenhagen and Wisla Krakow in the competition and arrived at Goodison Park for the first leg of the third round in upbeat and confident mood of halting Everton's own progress. A crowd of 25,782 were to witness one of Andy Gray's finest performances in the blue shirt of Everton, scoring a hat-trick that gave them a 3-0 win and almost certain qualification for the semi-finals. Read the match programme.